Thursday, December 4, 2008

New Year, New TV

I've never really thought of myself as a big Sci-Fi fan. Sci-Fi fans like Stars Wars and Star Trek - two things which I really have no interest in at all. However, when I began to think about the shows that I am most excited about in the new year they all had a good dose of science mixed in with their fiction. Those three shows are Dollhouse, Battlestar Galactica, and Lost.

Dollhouse is a show created by Joss Whedon, of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame, and I have been quivering with excitement since the moment I first heard about it. Yes, I know this is an unhealthy level of excitement for a television show, but I don't care. I also don't care about the seemingly endless amount of bad news surrounding Dollhouse - from reshoots, to rewrites, and finally the announcement that Fox is giving the show a Friday night timeslot. I will watch and I will keep my fingers crossed that enough other people will watch so that Fox doesn't yank the show after only one week.

Anyway here is a cool trailer:


And a recent interview with star, Eliza Dushku, about her thoughts on how the show will do.

Of these three series the one that probably has the most in common with the Star Trek and Wars series I mentioned earlier is Battlestar Galatica. Honestly, this was not a show that I ever thought that I would like, and I only started watching because a friend brought the DVD's over, put them in the player, and sat down with me and my husband to watch them.

It took a while for me to be hooked, but by the time we finished the two seasons that he had on DVD, I wanted MORE! I even went on the internet looking for spoilers, because I just had to know (My husband and friend who got me started on the series were HORRIFIED that I would read spoilers, but honestly it doesn't spoil anything for me, I was just excited to watch it as I would have been if I hadn't been "spoiled" If you like spoilers too, here is an article that narrows down the possible identity of the last cylon.)

Now I am all caught up and can't wait to see how it all ends when the final half of the final season starts airing in January. Here's a link where the actor who plays Gaius Baltar promises fans that they will not be disappointed.

In even more exciting Battlestar news, a prequel to the series called Caprica is due to arrive in 2010. They even already have a cool trailer for it:



And as if that isn't enough to keep fans satisfied, Edward James Olmos is going to direct a special two hour long Battlestar Galactica movie that will air later in 2009. Added bonus: the special will be written by Jane Espenson, a former writer for Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Finally: Lost. Admittedly my enthusiasm towards this show has waned at times as it zigged one way and then the other until I could barely remember what had happened in the previous episode much less the previous season. However, last season was really great, (especially with the flash forwards, instead of flashbacks. I was so over the damn flashbacks.) and they just put out a Lost trailer/The Fray music video that recaps last season while teasing the new one and, well, I am a sucker for a good music video trailer. If you are a sucker for such things as well, you can watch it below.



So, anybody else pathetically excited about a new year of TV?